Internexa

from Latin: "inter" (prep.) + "nexa" (from the verb "nectare": "link", "connect". Meaning: 1. (neut. plural) "things linked together or interconnected (with other people or things)" 2. (fem. sing.) "Woman (or girl) linked together or interconnected (with other people or things)". See also www.interplexa.blogspot.com

Minha foto
Nome:
Local: Brasília, Toronto

Brasiliense de origem montalvanense desbravando o gelado inverno do doutorado canadense.

1.9.06

Re-opening the Discussion (Part 2 of 5)

Chico said...
Philosophy for me at Cor Jesu middle school was to listen to Legião Urbana´s music: "You say your parents don´t undertand you, but you don´t understand your parents..." Isn´t this beautiful? Yeah. Cool, very cool.

Then we had math class, recess, Portuguese, Science, and bus back home. In the half hour I´d spend on the bus I would learn more than in the five classes that day.


LM disse...
Ok, Ester - I accept your invitation to bring the discussion here.

First of all, I read the document you refer to, and what it says is not that philosophy (and sociology, but I don´t care a bit for this one) is necessary for actively exercising one´s citizenship, but that students should have knowledge of philosophy necessary for the active exercise of one´s citizenship.

The policy seems to commit itself to the modest thesis that *a part* of philosophy is necessary for one´s active exercise of their citizenship, while you make it seem (even if you didn´t take it this way) that *the whole* of philosophy would be necessary for the active exercise of one´s citizenship.

The problem is how we find out *which* part they are talking about. The report doesn´t say, and judging by it, neither does the policy.

And I have no idea what this part is - I´ve been studying philosophy for a while, and I don´t think that today I exercise my citizenship better than before. As a matter of fact, I have no idea what it means to exercise my citizenship!

In the end, I agree with your brother Chico - I don´t see any reason to get optimistic...

LM


End of part 2

translators´s note: I´m not 100% sure that active exercise of one´s citizenship is the right expression in English. Any notes on this would be much appreciated.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anônimo said...

Este comentário foi removido por um administrador do blog.

22 de março de 2007 às 15:40  

Postar um comentário

<< Home